I was preparing for a discussion with a group that meets on Tuesday nights and I thought I would write down some of my thoughts. Getting together and kicking it with other people in discussion can be an awesome way to grow. Especially in a setting like our d-groups as we call it. We all learn from each other and try to see what the bible says about different topics.
This week, we're going to discuss harmony. Scott let me borrow the book Off Road Disciplines by Earl Creps and we've been discussing different topics from that book. The chapter on Harmony: The discipline of blending differences was a good one. Creps says that harmony happens when all the major brands of church value the Christian witness to the world above personal preferences.
These personal preferences are something that I have been prone to getting caught up in. I would say I went as far as to discredit a certain church because I didn't agree with their methods. Only because they weren't right for me. But I realized that if their purpose is to show people the way of Jesus, I should be able to live in harmony with them.
Our way of doing church is innovative and some people may have a problem with that. I could argue with them and become mutually hostile, but that other people would see that we were not in harmony.
People are so diverse, that certain methods and preferences are never going to please 100% of poeple. I pray that Jesus would make me part of his answer for harmony.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment